I’ve been trying with frustration to make a couple of crumpet recipes to work for a while now, but tonight by dint of completely misreading the recipe I managed to get it right!
The entire process takes about 3 hours (what with all the rising time!) but it’s really worthwhile.
So before I forget below is exactly how I made them:
2 tsp dried yeast
600g strong plain flour
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp bicarb mixed in 1tbs warm water
I put all the first ingredients in my breadmaker on dough setting (using a mixer does the trick too). Then I let it rise for about an hour (it should be around double the size) & stirred in the bicarb in water & after a further hour of rising it was bubbly & about double in size.
I then heated a frypan with egg rings in it really hot, took it off the heat & greased the lot. Then poured about 2tbs of mix into the rings (so that it comes 3/4 of the way up the sides), put it back on a low-medium heat (3 of 8 on my stove). When top is almost set & all bubbly, flip, cook for a minute or so until slightly browned & put on a rack to cool. And continue with the rest of the mix.Â Oh & if you don’t have rings that doesn’t matter – they just turn out irregular in shape & slightly thinner…
This made so many I’m going to be freezing, refrigerating & eating for about a week. I’m so excited that it’s finally worked!!!
OK just counted: 57 in total!!!